Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bad Role Models Everywhere


I was listening to Round 3 of The Masters on the Radio in DC this weekend when some analyst got overly excited about Tiger Woods cursing himself out on the golf course. Woods said something to the effect "Tiger You Suck", something I am sure Elin has said to him many times since Thanksgiving. Anyway, the Analyst then went on a rant about kids watching and how he's a role model, blah, blah, blah. I understand that some expect so much more from the Varsity Letterman (Breakfast Club Reference). Why? Just because someone is good at their craft does not make them perfect. Now to be fair most of the criticism is Tiger's fault because he foolishly pledged he would be better behaved on the golf course. Call me old fashioned, but I think first he should master not sleeping with the local waitresses at Perkins, then move onto the on course cursing issue. I mean it’s like asking a smoker to quit smoking and drinking at the same time. Not happening!

The other amusing thing about The Masters was all the applause Tiger received. Those were not impressionable kids cheering it was their parents. So if you are among the group of parents that wants every athlete to be a role model, then stop cheering for the assholes. I also am pretty sure that was not a kids camp giving Mark McGwire the standing ovation in St. Louis at the Cardinals home opener. No again, probably parents and it will probably be parents cheering for Big Ben this year in Pittsburgh. I'm not here to defend athletes because they certainly should be held to a high standard, but they screw up like the rest of us. It doesn't mean kids should stop watching or caring about sports, but a little parental guidance goes along way.

I grew up in a time where some of my biggest Sports Idols ended up screwing up royally. One even died of a cocaine overdose (Len Bias RIP), but I never touched cocaine or even thought about it. Dexter Manley was one of my favorite Redskin's and he was a major drug addict. I loved Riggo too and still do, but he had his off the field issues. Sugar Ray Leonard was my favorite boxer, he was involved in drugs and accused of domestic abuse. Even my favorite musician Eddie Van Helen had his off stage issues (alcohol, drugs, bimbos). Somehow I have not needed to be sent to Trembling Hills yet. Why? I guess because my parents never bullshited me into thinking athletes, musicians, or politicians were better than the rest of us regular folks. I try to do the same with my kids and it works pretty well. I have them convinced the Dallas Cowboys are part of a terrorist organization.

I mean are athletes are no more important to our culture than teachers, clergy, politicians, and police. All the other industries mentioned have their share of scandals too (and their role models). I mean daily you can find a story about some sicko teacher touching kids or Priest for that matter. Also, Police using their badge for things like sex, illegal payments, drugs, or old fashioned brutality. Politicians well...where to start?  How about wide stance Larry Craig or John Edwards, the Southern Gentleman cheating on his dying wife and has a love child and now sex tape! I should also mention the Tea Party they embarrass this country daily! Then there is Hollywood the folks that actually make as much or more than most athletes and most of them act like jackasses all the time. There are bad people in every profession and salary scale, but there is also a group worthy of being called role models. The kids will learn that whether Tiger curses or says "gosh darn" in front of the microphones. They just need their parents to explain it to them instead of cheering for these idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment